Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Cheerio! And, A Coupon


My favorite meal of the day is breakfast.  And, I normally do not have the time to prepare steel cut oatmeal in the mornings.  Sound familiar?  So, I have had to find foods I like, are light in fats and carbs, and are easy to prepare.  I'm still half-asleep when fixing breakfast - it has to be EASY.
I've had peanut butter sandwiches on low carb, high fiber toast - a breakfast that I truly enjoy, but a bit high in fats.  I have eaten granola type cereals - a bit too high in carbs - and some are really high in fats.  Still like it sometimes, though.  But the favorite day-in-day-out go-to breakfast food is...wait for it...Cheerios.  Low fat.  Low carbs.  Taste pretty good.  Just watch the portion control.  Did the picture at the top of the page give it away?
You might find you like it, too.  So, to make it a bit easier, I found this coupon at the Betty Crocker (another General Mills brand) site.  Go ahead, go get it.  The Cheerios coupon is located in the left column a little way down.  Click on the clip it, then go down to the bottom the the page on the right side and click Print Coupons.  Not a huge savings, but it will help.
The facts: : For a 3/4 cup portion (measure it) there are 22 - 26 carbs (based on flavor) and 1.5 grams of fat.  Not bad. Plus, the family will eat them, too.  It's important to me to eat the food my family eats as much as I possibly can - and it works most of the time.  I don't want to have a separate shelf for 'my food' or separate myself from my family because of diabetes.
You can start with the 22 carbs, add about 6 to 8 carbs for milk, maybe a slice of toast or piece of fruit for another 15 to 20 carbs and a cup of coffee with milk for about 3 carbs.  What does that add up to?  53 carbs at the most.  What do I have?  Cheerios with milk, low carb yogurt and coffee.  Total carbs are under 45.  And, my hunger is satisfied.
How do I know it works for me?  Well, my average glucose reading for the last 90 days taken at various times of the day is 99.  If the Cheerios work for me, they might work for you.  Use the coupon and give it a try.
By the way, I actually called General Mills to find out if there was a coupon I could offer here.  They directed me to the site I gave you a link to above.  Of course, that won't stop me from asking again and again and again when I think you might like some of the foods I eat.  Remember, the goal of this blog is to help you "survive and thrive" while controlling diabetes.  You can.  I know it.
By the way, the coupons change at the Betty Crocker site every month, or so.  Check back. I will try to remember to remind you to do so.
Just a reminder that what works for me might, or might not work for you.  Body chemistry is different.  So, always remember to take your glucose readings to know how you are doing.
As always, thank you for reading.  I think about you everyday and how I might help you.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment