Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Just How Many Diabetics Are There?


Well, in a word - lots.  I was amazed to learn how many folks have diabetes.  So, to remove the stress of not knowing the answer, I will let you in on the 'secret number.'
But, before I tell you, that's a map of the population of the United States, not a wireless carrier's coverage map.  White = very few people. Darker red = a lot of folks!  Just thought you might be interested.  Is the suspense killing you, yet?  Well, without further ado...
According to the American Diabetes Association:
25.8 million people have diabetes.  (25,800,000 - looks like a bigger number when written out.)
18.8 million have been diagnosed.  (18,800,000)
7 million are not yet diagnosed.  (7,000,000) Read about the symptoms.
79 million have Pre-diabetes. (79,000,000) And, read about Pre-diabetes.
Total is 104 million.  (104,000,000)
The population of the USA is 311 million according to the most recent census.  So, basic arithmetic tells me that 33.4% have some form of diabetes.  One third!  Look around you.  One person in three has some form of diabetes.  Count off - one, two, three - one of you has diabetes.  That's mind boggling.  We are the biggest 'secret society' in the world!
Why secret?  Because it's so personal for some.  I have read in so many blogs about people getting these looks of pity from others when they found out the person had diabetes.  I have received them!  But, you know what?  I don't care.  Maybe I can help a person or two not become a diabetic, or help them live successfully with the disease.  I know I have never felt better in the last twenty years than I do right now - with diabetes - and you can, too.
So, how does diabetes stack up against, say, cancer?  I am glad you asked.  11.9 million (11,900,000) have cancer.  Got it from the American Cancer Society.  That's all forms of cancer including breast, colon, etc.  For those of you who are mathematically inclined, that's 11.4% of those who have some form of diabetes.
Diabetes is all around you.  The effects of the disease is all around you.  Persistent infections.  Foot and toe removal.  Organ failure.  Look around and you will see it.  If you have diabetes, start taking it seriously.  Live to see your grand children and your great grand children!  Fight it.  Beat it.  Control diabetes, or it will control you because it's a relentless enemy that has only one goal: Destruction.
If you want to know whether or not you have diabetes, get screened.  Sam's Club offers free screenings.
Take heart.  The numbers show you are not alone - not by a long shot.  My name is Phil, and I am a diabetic.  How can I help you?
As always, thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment