Sunday, September 2, 2012

Some Days I Just Don't Want to Do It!


I got up this morning and I just did not want to deal with diabetes.  I did not want to take any meds.  I wanted to eat waffles, pancakes, bacon, sausage, muffins...well, just about anything I shouldn't eat.  Oh, and I wanted syrup; real maple syrup.  Ever have a day like that?
So, what did I do?  I opened the cabinet where my meds are all laid out for a week in a pill box (so I am sure if I take them, or not - more on that at some later date), and I closed it again without ever taking the meds out.  
I looked around in the kitchen for breakfast food.  Thought about going out for a minute.  I could just taste donuts!  I did not want deal with diabetes...just did not want to.  
Then, I leaned against the counter.  Gave it a little thought.  Took a deep breath.  And, went about making and eating my breakfast, and then taking my meds.  You see, I am more committed to my health and being around for grand-children and (God willing) great-grand-children than I am to maple syrup, waffles, french fries or donuts.
I know it's not easy.  I know it's not easy to never have (or have very, very small portions of) the foods you really love.  Of course, I don't know about you, but between not exercising and having way too much of the foods I love is what got me in this position of having diabetes.  
My point is that sometimes it's an act of will to do what's right for you and your body.  Why do you think I refer to the fight against diabetes as a battle; a fight; gaining control? Because that's exactly what it is and for some of us it's a daily fight meal-by-meal.
You can fight and win.  You can control diabetes.  It's a tricky opponent, but the alternative of not fighting is possibly a loss of a foot, dialysis, and perhaps even death.  When I think about it in those terms, the fight becomes a bit easier.  And, there are others who would be effected if I didn't do the things I have to do to keep diabetes controlled.
You can win this fight.  Day-by-day and meal-by-meal.  Don't give up. Don't give in.  Be victorious!
As always, thank you for reading.






1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, Phil. Been there, done that...repeat. Every day we face choices. Your choice to see your grandchildren grow up is the same as mine...well, my grandchildren, not yours. :)

    ReplyDelete