Sunday, September 23, 2012

Burger and Fries (NOT!)


There are days every once in a while when all I can think about is a hamburger.  Hot and fresh.  A toasted bun.  Grilled onions.  A bit of this and that...My mouth is watering right now!  In fact, I had one for dinner...and it was glorious!
So, I decided that tonight was hamburger night and went out to my favorite place.  I ordered my burger, and any time you order a burger you get some form of the question:
Would you like fries?
Fries?  Really? I know that even three french fries - those golden, slightly crispy, warm and salted delicacies turn up in an increased blood sugar reading.  Three.  Three little fries can make all of the difference in the world.
Of course, it wasn't always this way.  I'd have cheese, fries, super size it and be very happy.  But, it was adding pounds and pounds and contributing to me becoming a diabetic.  I have really come to believe that the most dangerous questions to public health are:
  1. Can I supersize it for you; can I make it jumbo for you?
  2. Would you like a combo?
The answer to both questions should always, always, always be no.  Always.  Look, I know the fries taste great.  I know it's a nearly automatic response to say yes.  But you have to think about the price you will pay if you do so.  Those great tasting fries come with a very heavy price.  Increased blood sugar and perhaps weight gain.
You know, a hamburger by itself isn't so bad for me.  Two hours after the burger, I checked my blood glucose - 97.  Three hours it was 86.  So, there don't appear to be any adverse effects.  Then again, I am careful about where I get a hamburger and it's only from those places that make it fresh and do not use a lot of sauces.  I am fortunate to be in Southern California where I have a number of places from which to choose.
Of course, when I was first diagnosed, I stayed away from burgers completely for several months as I got my sugar under control.  I had to learn what I could and could not eat.  I read nutrition guides everywhere and online to know what I could eat.  And, you know what?  Just about every restaurant has their nutrition guides online - so you can be prepared.
When you choose to eat out, make good choices.  My doc has told me several times, "You have diabetes, but you still have to live.  Be smart."

No comments:

Post a Comment