Thursday, October 11, 2012

Timing is Everything! Like You Didn't Know That


You've heard the phrase, "Timing is everything," right?  Sometimes it's used to to explain why something happens.  Sometimes it's used instead of a single word, "Luck."  But, timing is indeed important when it comes to taking medication.
In life correct timing can make all of the difference between success and failure.  And, treating diabetes is no different.  In fact, it's far more important than I ever imagined.
Dr. K will go into the best times to take meds sooner or later, because it does matter when you take them.  (Like how I volunteered you, K?)  Two things have happened recently, and I don't believe in coincidence most of the time, hence this blog entry.  You know, even in this, I guess timing is everything.  That just occurred to me.  Yes, I'm a bit thick sometimes.
The two things:
  1. In my quest to lower my glucose readings and eventually my A1c, I started looking at the time I took my meds.  (Yes, I am a bit analytical.) For most of the last three years I took them in the earlier morning before 6:30, and then again late at night - say about 10:00.  It worked pretty well for me since for the last 18 months my A1c has been between 5.9 and 6.2.  But, about ten days ago I started taking the medication at night at about 7:00, or so.  Guess what?  My readings are a bit lower and more consistent, now.  I know, for most of you that's more like, "Well, duh!"  I'm just a slow learner sometimes.
  2. The second thing that happened was a comment from a reader about higher readings in the morning two hours after eating than they thought they should have.  I forwarded the comment to Dr. K who explained to me that when the medication is taken is incredibly important because different meds get to maximum effectiveness at different times - some get effective faster than others.
So, in both cases, timing is everything.  You have to know when to take your meds in order to gain the most from them and to maintain a consistent glucose level in your body.  And, since Dr. K is the expert, I know she will address this pretty soon.
Are these two items coincidence?  I think not.  It was a matter of timing - the reader's comment and my changing the time I take my meds in search of a slightly lower number.
Indeed, Timing is everything!
As always, thank you for reading.

1 comment: