Thursday, August 30, 2012

You Can Win the War...You Can Be In Control!

I have found there is so much in life I really can't control.  If you work, there are aspects about your job you don't control.  If you are married, do you think you can control your spouse?  Can you control how much homework a teacher might assign?  Heck, I can't even control how long it takes me to drive somewhere due to traffic.  Think about it.

There are so many health related concerns you can't control.  Cancer.  A failing back.  Even getting a cold is something we can't seem to control.

But, there is some good news - YOU can control diabetes.  I know I have hammered this home before, but it's worth doing again and again.  You can control and manage diabetes.  What does it take?  A few simple steps.

Form you team.  The best way to fight diabetes and win the war is to have an engaged team.  Your team should include your doctor, pharmacist and you.

Take your medication.  This is so simple.  Do not miss a dose.  Take what your doctor prescribes, when he prescribes it to be taken, how it's prescribed to be taken.  This is such an easy step.  But, in order to take your meds, you have to have them.  My pharmacist tells me about 30% or prescriptions that are filled don't get picked-up.  30%!  Please, be part of the 70% and pick-up your medication so you can take it.

Diet.  And, by diet I mean what you eat.  This probably has to change.  My big diet change was to limit the carbs I would have during a meal to 55 to 60 carbs.  This means eating different foods and less of them.  As I look back, I must have been having 150 to 200 carbs per meal.  No wonder I am a diabetic. Now, I normally have about 50, and sometimes less.

Let me tell you that a lower carb diet helped me to lose about 60 pounds and dropped my sugar levels.  I went from an AIc of about 13.0 to 6.1.  My lowest A1c was 5.9 - so I know it's attainable and it my next goal.  That will probably require a change in my diet to both low carb and low fat (basically it means I will have to start counting calories).

Exercise.  I can't stress this enough.  There is something about exercise that makes it easier for your blood cells to receive sugar - glucose.  And, what will that do?  Lower your daily glucose reading!  And, you will lose more weight if you exercise than if you just try to do it by reducing what you eat.

Form your team.  Take your medication. Change your diet and realize it will be a way of life. And, exercise.  You will be on your way to controlling diabetes instead of it controlling you.  You really can do this.

A great way to get started is by downloading and using the Food Diary Plus to act as a reminder and keep track of your progress.

I know, that was a shameless plug, but it's your Food Diary that will form the basis for your fight.  You will gain so much information and will know how your body is responding.  And, it's a great way to keep track of what you eat and the effect it has on your blood sugar.

Are you ready?  You can battle the disease and win your war with diabetes.

Fight on!



No comments:

Post a Comment