Tuesday, August 14, 2012

New Numbers!

I just came back from dinner with my in-laws.  Okay, is that blog worthy?  Probably not.  But I never, ever thought I would spend a meal talking about doctors, lab tests and other medical odds and ends.  Never in my wildest imagination (and I can imagine a lot!) did  I ever see myself talking about medical issues during dinner.  But, we did and it seemed okay to do so.  In fact, there were several times when we laughed pretty hard. 

Did you notice my great segue into lab work and medical stuff, there?  Should I repeat it so you can enjoy it again?  Don't worry, I won't do it.

I have just gone through my semi-annual lab work and my report card came back.  I won't bore you with cholesterol numbers, because you don't really care about those.  But, in the spirit of transparency I will tell you two numbers.

Blood pressure is 114/81.  And, A1c is 6.1.  That A1c is not great by a lot of diabetic's standards, but it means I am managing the disease pretty well.  Can I get a bit lower?  Yes - my goal during the next six months is 5.8.  I am developing a plan to meet it and will share it with you when I have the plan finished. 

I mention this because I consistently see room for improvement in what I do and how I do it.  And, if I can do it, I know you can, too.   It's a matter of setting a goal and making a plan to achieve that goal.  The steps are pretty simple.  In fact, you probably already know what to do.
  1. Set a realistic goal.  
  2. Develop a plan to achieve that goal. 
  3. Then, follow your plan. 
  4. Monitor your progress.
Simple, huh?  It really is and can lead to your triumph over diabetes.  You can, and will, win the war.  Does it get any better than that?  Not in my little world.  I want everyone to know they can win the war and control diabetes.

In the next blog I will take a look at these steps.  Tune in tomorrow for the exciting conclusion to New Numbers!

And, as always, thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment