Friday, August 31, 2012

Tale of Two People (with apologies to Dickens)


It was the best of times.  It was the worst of times.  And, so the story starts.  For so many faced with the diagnoses of Diabetes or Prediabetes it is the worst of times.  I know the feeling.  And, I know the very real fear.
What happens as a result of the diagnoses is in your hands; it's your choice.  It's all in how you react and what you do, or action you take.  Let me tell you about Dave and John.
I learned about them during the same day last week and since I am not a big believer in coincidence, I thought I'd share their stories with you.  I learned about David when he left a comment and then sent me an email and will let him tell his story in his own words...
Ten years ago I was in prediabetes -- not surprising at all since my father is a diabetic and I weighed in at well over 260 pounds and seldom did any exercise. As I looked at my father and saw him deteriorating before my eyes, I decided to do something about my own health (I couldn't get him to even listen to his doctor). I took up cycling and lost over 60 pounds. I now ride around 7,000 miles a year. At my last physical my BP was 100/58, my resting pulse was 52, and my fasting blood sugar level was around 65 mg/dL.
When I took up cycling I also started the Atkins Diet -- got rid of ALL refined sugars, white bread, etc. Whole grains, lean protein and fresh fruit are the only things I eat now.
Now, I am not going to suggest that you start cycling 7,000 miles a year.  But, take a look at David's blog about his adventures and product reviews.  You might decide you want to take up cycling or bike riding as a form of exercise.
What I do want to point out is that he took action and overcame a diagnoses of Prediabetes.  What did he do?  Diet.  Exercise.  And, as a result he beat diabetes!  Good going David!
Now, John (not their real name; I could just as well have used Mary, Fred, Barney, or Lucille) faced diabetes in a different manner.  They did nothing.  Or, at the most very, very little.  What's happened?  Pretty much what you would expect.  They are in their mid-50's, on dialysis three times a week and have six to eight months to live.  They won't live to see their grandchildren or their birthdays.  Why?  Because they did not fight to control the disease.  John did not fight to win the war.
John's story did not have to end that way.  A little exercise - 30 minutes a day.  A change in diet.  Take prescribed medications.  And, who knows how long John would have lived?
I hear less dramatic stories all of the time.  But, make no mistake - Diabetes has one goal and that is to ravage your life.  If you have diabetes, your single goal should be to ravage diabetes, and you can do it!
You can control diabetes!  You can beat Prediabetes!
If you have no faith, you've lost your battle. ~Bill Cosby
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it. ~Magaret Thatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment