Wednesday, August 1, 2012

You Never Stop Learning!

You know, I check my blood glucose level twice a day, most of the time, and sometimes 3 times a day.  As a result, I pretty much know where my glucose level is at anytime within about 10 points.  Tonight I got a surprise.

It was two hours after I began to eat dinner and I did a quick blood check.  I thought I would be between 110 and 120 based on what I had eaten and my experience.  I had not walked - got home way too late to do that.  My glucose level was at 147.  Still good for a diabetic, but not good enough - and 20 to 30 points higher than I expected.  By the way, form what I have been told, under 180 is good for a diabetic two hours after a meal is started, just not my goal at this point.  By the way, my fasting glucose was around 300 as I recall when I first started measuring about three years ago.

So, I have to go back and look at what I ate - duh.  The only thing out of the ordinary was about 1/3 of an avocado.  I had not had any avocado in...well, since I was diagnosed with diabetes.  I just learned I need to stay away from them - or have a slice, or make sure I have time to exercise.  Yes, exercise helps that much.

My point is that when you think you know, you are shown you don't.  I know I have to make a little change and I will make it.  You have to stay aware of what you eat, how it effects your glucose levels and learn what you can, and can't eat.  You only get that through checking your blood glucose at different times of the day.

Someone put it very well when they were referring to how the body breaks down food - everyone's body chemistry seems to be unique.  They said the basic rules are great as a starting point, but remember, "Your Mileage May Vary."

Thanks for reading.

(See, I will share all of my lessons!)

No comments:

Post a Comment