Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Diabetes Week Two

I made it through the first week of diabetes.  My life changed in the same way you turn a light on - within a moment.  Was I still scared?  Oh, yeah.  In fact today, almost three years later I am still scared of diabetes if I was being completely honest.  I have a deep and abiding respect for what the disease can do if not managed and controlled.

The good news is that it can be controlled with a bit of effort which was my big "AHA!" during Week Two.

Anyway, back at Week Two.  I had begun to take my meds - Metformin twice a day 1.000 mg each time.  Pretty standard starting treatment.  And, it was just the Metformin.  I know many may have two pills to take, which for some proves to be very effective.  It's kind of like a one-two punch and when you are in a war with diabetes, you want to throw as many punches as possible to get your glucose, and subsequently your A1c, down somewhere in normal range.  If you need to see the a chart for A1c values and how they compare to your blood glucose readings, look here for a pretty easy to read chart.

Remember not to use one reading, but look at your average reading.  Even then, it depends on when you take it.  More on that at some point in the near future.

Again I got a bit side tracked.  Week Two - I had begun my walking.  Every evening for 30 minutes.  I know I have written here before I don't like exercise, but we were talking about my life here.  So, that walk became one of my best friends.  I didn't try to walk fast or go very far at first.  I used shoes that were about five or six years old and just walked.  One foot in front of another.  For 30 minutes - which seemed like forever the frist few days, but by the time Week Two started, the time seemed to go a little faster, but not much.

And, I was getting more ideas of what I could and could not eat.  Think about it, we get near immediate feedback with our glucose readings.  If it's not the right food, up it goes.  If it is the right food, it dips a little bit.  Take your readings twice a day, more often if your doctor will authorize it, so you will know what your blood sugar (glucose) is doing.  You should be on a steady downward trend.  And, keep a record of your readings as well as diet (everything you eat and when) in a food diary.  You will really learn what is working and will be able to spot trends faster.  If you spot the trend, you can make adjustments.

Me?  I just liked seeing the numbers go down.  I started with seeing glucose numbers of 300+.  It was an exciting morning when I hit 297.  During the second week I saw it get down to 275.  I was making progress!  Fear was gone because I was taking action.  I knew the meds would not make me go too low - fat chance when you are in the high 200's.  Things were beginning to work and I felt empowered; that I could get this disease under control. Hey, I even found I lost my first couple of pounds during Week Two,

What was I doing?

Meds.  Diet.  Walking.  Testing.  Recording.  If I was really bright, I'd come up with some sort of catchy acronym, but alas and alack, I am not that bright.  I am open to ideas, though.  You know what my meds were.  I was on a low carb diet.  I was walking 30 minutes a day, six days per week.  And, I kept records.  All of this really began to come together during the second week.

You can do this.  It's all about little steps that collectively make a journey.  You can take the small steps without fear - a lot of folks have gone before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment