Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Prediabetes - What Does It Really Mean?

I wish I had taken control of my diet and exercise when the doctor told me I had 'Prediabetes.'  I equated it to Pre-Algebra and nothing to really be worried about.  Was I wrong!

I clearly remember not worrying when I was told by my doctor that I had prediabetes.  I didn't think it was anything to worry about and that it would just go away while I gained another 10 or 15 pounds.  I was warned and didn't even get the warning; I was clueless and plain STUPID.

So, what is prediabetes?  My strictly non-medical definition is that it means you are a likely candidate for full-blown diabetes if you don't make some changes.  I know that now - a bit too late.  In more of a medical definition it means that you have elevated A1c levels.  Elevated?  Yes, it means that when you had that wonderful blood test for which you had to fast, the results came back with your A1c being between 6.0 and 6.4.  Some scales even go as low as 5.7 and include that and higher as prediabetes!!!  While those numbers are considered high, they are still more or less normal. But the closer you get to 6.5, the more damage that can be done to your body.

Want to know more about prediabetes?  You can read about it here, here, and here.  As always I have gone to the best sources I can find.

Most measurements indicate full blown diabetes at an A1c of 6.5, or higher.  I went big, and when I was diagnosed, I was at 13.1.  But, if you have been reading this blog, you already know that.

So, don't be like me and ignore it when you are told that you have prediabetes.  Make the changes - losing weight, exercise, diet - that will prevent full-flown diabetes from developing.  By the way, the changes you should make are pretty much what I have written about in this blog.  And, will write more about in future entries.

So, take control and make the changes if you have prediabetes.  You really do make the decision as to what will happen.  Are the Big Macs, Shakes, Fries, Pies, Cakes, Fried Foods and on and on worth it?  Are they worth losing a limb over?  Or, blindness?  I am not trying to scare you, just letting you know the possible consequences.  Are they worth a life-time on medication? 

For me, I wish the answer had been no.  You really can do something about it - so please, please make the necessary changes.  Change to a low-carb diet or diet that will work for you; find time to sxercise; and lose weight, if you need to.

As always - thank you for time and for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment