Thursday, July 26, 2012

Why Exercise?

We hear it from the day we are diagnosed.  Exercise.  Exercise.  Exercise.  Every conversation I have with my doctor or nurse includes a brief chat on the topic.  So, why is it so important that it has become part of the diabetic mantra?  Diet.  Exercise.  Medication. Step right up and let me tell you what I have learned.

You have to know I hated any kind of exercise for years and years.  Hated the thought of running or strength training or (God forbid!) going to a gym. When I heard the word 'exercise,' I heard 'pain.' Why would I ever want to put myself in pain?

Then....(doom music, please)...I was diagnosed with diabetes and told I should exercise 30 minutes a day.  Walking counted.  Housework counted.  Walking around work could count.  Just about any activity that got me off of my rear counted. I thought that this was something I could do.  So, I just started walking 30 minutes a day.  Just 30 minutes - very important to remember that number.

So, what happens when I exercise?  A bunch of things including:
  • Losing weight.
  • Curbing hunger.
  • I just feel better.
  • Cholesterol goes down.
  • Blood pressure goes down
  • And the all time biggie for diabetics - it allows blood cells to more easily absorb sugar (aka glucose).  And that results in, you guessed it, lower glucose readings.

In fact, regular exercise is a key ingredient to controlling diabetes.  (Cue the sounds of triumph!!!)

Do you want to know more about the science behind it?  Read all about it here.

How long do you need to exercise for?  Yep, that's right - only 30 minutes per day five (or, go big and do six) days a week.  Hey, if you have a dog, use the time to take it for a walk...just make sure you walk the dog and not carry it!  He may need the exercise, too.

As always, thank you for reading and keep up the good fight.

"Exercise should be regarded as tribute to the heart."  ~Gene Tunney


"If your dog is fat, you're not getting enough exercise." ~Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment