Thursday, July 19, 2012

Shakes and Quakes

When I was first diagnosed I had no clue how to eat.  It seemed like I could eat too little or too much if I weren't very careful.  Too much and my sugar would be high.  Too low and I could go into a diabetic coma or have the effects of low blood sugar - aka hypogycemia.  Neither of which really appealed to me to say the least.  I wanted to avoid high sugar readings because, after all, I was (am) a diabetic.  And, I really wanted to avoid those low sugar shakes and quakes.

You know what?  I was successful on both counts.  I did have one day where I had a glucose reading of 59 - pretty low in anybody's book, and had only limited effects before I had sense enough to eat.  So, what did I do?  What did I eat?

I started with being having meals of about 60 carbs - give or take 5.  Snacks stayed around 15 carbs.  But - and here is the big secret...drum roll if you please...I ate six smaller meals of about 30 to 35 carbs.  It seemed like I was always eating.

Think about it.  Breakfast at 6:30. Snack at 9:00 or 9:15. Lunch around 11:30. Another snack around 2:30 or 3:00.  Dinner at about 6:00.  And yet another snack at around 8:00 or 8:30.  Each of these meals was 30 or 35 cabs.  Six meals of 35 carbs each means I was getting somewhere around 210 to 220 carbs a day.  That was really enough food for me.

Enough food?  Yes - it's what I needed to live, work and exercise AND lose weight.  Was I hungry sometimes? Well, yeah.  Think about it.  I had been eating what 350 or 400 carbs a day.  That's a lot.  No wonder I had diabetes.  Does not take a brain surgeon, does it?  My stomach needed time to catch up with my lower intake...it had to shrink.

But, I have got to tell you a secret - you can eat enough food and not be full.  You see, somewhere between your stomach and brain there seems to be a lag so that when you have actually eaten more than enough you really won't feel 'stuffed' until 10 minutes later.  That's one reason why we over-eat.  I don't know the science behind that phenomenon, I just know it's true.

Soon I will have to write about what 'enough food' really means.  But, in a nutshell, it's the amount you need to go through your day in a healthy manner.

So, there's a rule for you - start eating with your brain!

Eat six smaller meals as you start to lower your blood sugar.  If you are interested, I will list what I ate in the beginning - just ask.  It's different that what I eat now that I am in maintain mode.

Keep fighting the good fight to manage your diabetes.  It's not easy some days, but well worth it.

Thank you for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment