Tuesday, July 17, 2012

First Steps

Well, I had just found out I had diabetes that morning.  Not one of my better mornings.  I was afraid, but was determined not to be a victim of the disease.  I might (no might about it with my A1c) have diabetes, but diabetes did not have me.  It was important for me to make that distinction and statement.

The first marching orders from my doctor: Get the medication started because he wanted to get the A1c down as soon as possible, and lose a little weight.  I am so glad he did not tell me I had to lose 60 pounds.  I am not sure I would have been so aggressive in getting the weight off.  A 'little weight' is so much easier to lose!  Of course, I heard 'just a little more' for quite a few months.

Obvious foods were out for me.  You know what they are - sugar in just about any form, a lot of starches, no rice (I loved rice), white breads, etc.  Load up on vegetables (didn't know that I liked that idea).  So, no more cookies - and I have never met a cookie I didn't like.  And, of course, pies, cakes, ice cream, etc. were off the menu permanently.

The simple fact of life is that I had to change the way I ate.  So, I decided one of my first steps was to start and maintain a food log or diary.  EVERYTHING I ate got recorded.  I found an unused 'scratch' pad around the house and started writing down what I ate.  I used a simple format: Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack (B, S, L, S, D, S).  I wrote down every little thing and I put a carb count next to each meal

What? Carb count?  Yep, I am one of those who counts carbs - still do.  In the beginning I allowed myself about 60 carbs per meal and 15 carbs per snack.  Each day had a maximum possible of 225 carbs.  Where did I get this idea?  I think I eventually got it from a on-on-one with a dietician - unfortunately I can't accurately recall. (Sounds like I am answering a question during a Senate Investigation.)  Where ever I got it, it worked for me.

You have to remember where I was coming from.  100 or 150 carb meals were the norm.  I ate what I wanted when I wanted.  You might be coming from the same place.  Pizza.  Pastas. Breads of any sort. And, potatoes.  It doesn't take much for me to accurately imagine a baked potato with butter, lots of butter on it.  So, from 150 carbs per meal to only 225 for the day.  I really, really, really wanted to re-think this approach, but knew in my heart I didn't have any alternative.

In fact, I reduced the total number of carbs consumed daily (now, that really does sound like a label on a product) over the next few weeks to between 190 and 200.  But, I knew what I was eating and where I could reduce.  Why?  Because I kept my food diary.

By the way, at the top of every page, I put my morning glucose reading.  I knew the general goal was to see it go down to below 120.  I started with something over 300, but between the medication and the change in what I ate, I saw it go down everyday which served as a reinforcement for my eating.  Seeing the glucose number helped me be more successful.  It became a game for me!

So, please get your food diary started.  Even now when I need to make an adjustment - like lose a few pounds (more on that later), I start keeping a diary and I can immediately see where I need to make adjustments.

Now, most of my meals are aorund 50 to 55 carbs and my snacks are about 12 to 15 carbs.  I only know that it works for me.  As an alternative you might want to try six small meals at about 30 carbs each.

Want to know carb counts on some basic foods?  Look here.

You can do this!  Diabetes is the enemy and you ARE going to vanquish it with a bit of time and planning.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it." Charles R. Swindoll

No comments:

Post a Comment