Sunday, July 29, 2012

Days Two To Seven - The Battle Begins

So, I have diabetes, now what?  I knew of the complications that diabetes can bring, and was incredibly scared.  I have a vivid imagination!  I sort of knew it could be controlled, but didn't have a clue.  I did not like the idea of meds to bring down my glucose level - I was really afraid that they'd bring it down too fast.  But, I knew things had to change, and soon.

I was messed up.  Afraid of anything and everything, it seemed.  I was new to everything.  Meds. Testing glucose levels.  Eating - heck I was afraid to eat just about everything and anything. I spent hours on the internet trying to get good information.  The best information is from the American Diabetes Association and The Mayo Clinic.  And, most of the time, I found WebMD to be pretty good.

The first few days I read and retained that diabetes could be controlled.  Okay, good.  But, would the meds bring my glucose down too fast?  Would it go too low?  What could I eat?  A lot of questions and fear.

Big initial learning: We are all a bit different.  What works for me may or may not work for you.  There are more 'general guidelines' than hard and fast rules.  It's not that we are left on our own; it's just that there is no one size fits all.  Why?  Because each one of us has slightly different body chemistry which means we process things differently.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes and had an A1c of 13.1, I was started on a 1000 mg dose of Metformin twice a day.  Metormin is the tried and true go to med for diabetes.  A first step.  I remember asking my doctor's nurse what if it doesn't work?  She smiled and told me not to worry; that this was a beginning and there were a lot of roads to take.  I was reassured, but only a bit.  I was ignorant and could only see the loss of my feet, or something.  Fear was a great motivator for me.

I changed my diet immediately and went on a low carbohydrate diet.  And, by immediately, I mean the moment I walked out of the doctor's office.  No more french fries, potato chips, cookies, pies, white bread - well, the list goes on and on.  I started reading the labels on all food.  I learned portion sizes and calculated how many carbs per meal and snack I was eating.  I started walking - not far - but walking every evening for 30 minutes.

I started keeping a food diary immediately.  If I ate it, I recorded it.  I also recorded my morning reading so I could keep track of what was working - if it was working.  And by working, I mean that the glucose readings were coming down and my weight was beginning to come off.  Hey, I was excited about losing a single pound!

Did I want anything I could not have or would not allow myself?  Of course.  Did I give in?  No!  I didn't think I could ever give in, so I learned that some of my favorite foods might never be eaten by me again.  I just accepted it.  And, I learned to eat less.  I just decided I could eat less food and get enough food.

You see, food became fuel to me.  Did I get enough fuel?  Everyday.  Was I 'full?'  Rarely.  I got used to being a little hungry after eating.  I asked myself everyday if it was worth it.  And, everyday I got the same answer - Yes.

This was a lot in the first week.  But, if you are going to manage and control diabetes, I truly believe it takes a change - a quick, radical change.  I couldn't see the advantage of going slow; kind of easing into it.  For me, it was, and is, a war that I must win.  The battle is fought daily, hourly, meal-by-meal and snack-by-snack.

For me, it was fear and the desire to live a 'normal' life to old age; to see grand children and to live with my wife for many more years leading an active life.  What's going to motivate you?  Find it.  Embrace it.  And, go to war with diabetes.

You can do it.  You can control, manage and beat back diabetes.

Thanks for reading.

"The most important of life's battles are the ones we fight daily in the silent chambers of the soul." ~David McKay

"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~Sun Tzu


No comments:

Post a Comment