Sunday, July 22, 2012

It's Not a Sprint; It's Your Life

I have just finished watching Ernie Els win this year's British Open.  He did not do it through getting out in front and staying there.  He did it by grinding out golf shots and giving himself the opportunity to win.  He was behind when he finished, but when the tournament was over, he won.

What did it take?  Perseverance.  It took a disciplined approach over 72 holes.  It was not what he did on one hole or one day. It's what he did over four days - and he did the best he could with every shot.  Sometimes the holes went well; other times, not so much.

Controlling and managing diabetes takes perseverance.  It's not about one meal or snack, or one day.  It's about your life and how you choose to live it.  Do you live it as a victim of the disease and just give up?  Or, do  you face it and work to control it?  The choice is your's.  Just remember, it's your life we are talking about. 

It took about six for me to get a handle on controlling and managing diabetes.  I took my medication.  I started exercising.  I changed and adjusted my diet.  I was afraid of the disease and not willing to let it win.  But, it still took months.

Control and management could take you months, or longer.  But, you have to keep at it - you know you can do it.  Sure, my diet might not work for you, but it will get you moving in the right direction so you can make those little adjustments that will lead to victory.  You will be heading toward triumph and not giving in. You will be taking control of your diabetes

I have been asked why there isn't a 'handbook' for diabetics.  We;;, we are all different and our body chemistry is different.  Yes, there are established ranges and norms, but there is no one number that is right for everyone.  Why do you think the 'normal' fasting glucose range is from 80 to 120?  Because we are different!  A woman I know goes into a sugar low if her glucose level gets below 70.  I have had readings as low as 59 and 61 and still felt okay.  Why is that?  Because we are different.

Listen.  Learn.  Discover what works best for you.  It's not a race; it's your life.

Two thoughts from Winston Churchill:

"If you are going through hell, keep going."

"Never, never, never give in."


No comments:

Post a Comment