Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day Seven

It's the end of the first week.  It's been kind of a long week for me.  I had changed just about everything from what I ate; how much I ate; when I ate; and, I was walking - not far, but walking for 30 minutes each day.  A lot of changes, but I was going on the attack against diabetes, and I just couldn't see doing it any other way.

I don't want to give anyone the impression it was easy.  Every meal was an act of will not to eat more.  Every time I got hungry, I played a little game (which I will still play today) that if I just made it 30 minutes, I could have something to eat.  Then when it go close to 30 minutes, I'd push it to an hour.  I figured that every extra minute I got without eating got me close to the time when I could eat.  I know, it sounds a bit silly, but it worked (and continues to work) for me.

And...I was taking my meds!  My blood sugar did not fall too far - which I was afraid of.  I was afraid that the meds would take me too low too fast.  I had seen people go into diabetic tremors from blood sugar being too low, and I was afraid of that.  But, you know what, it didn't happen.  The world continued to turn and I continued to function well.

What else did Day Seven bring?  Lost weight.  Not much.  I had to look twice and make sure the scale was adjusted right, but there was a loss of two pounds.  Two whole pounds!  I was headed in the right direction.

Oh, yes, my morning glucose readings were going down, too.

So, after a week lived in fear, I had a little victory.  Everything seemed to be working just like it was supposed to work.  I remember that I almost cried I was so happy.

I tell you about this because it can be you.  You can fight and win the battle.  It will take a touch of discipline and dedication, but you know what?  It becomes almost second nature after awhile and your stomach does shrink, but not as fast as some would have you believe.  But it does get smaller if you eat less.

You have to start, please.  Take the first step.  Take your meds as prescribed.  Watch what you eat.  Exercise a bit.  And you will win the war.  I know it sounds a bit corny, but I am already excited about your victories - the little ones because they add up to big ones.

And, thank you for reading.

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." ~Walter Elliott

"It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it." ~John Wooden 


No comments:

Post a Comment