Thursday, July 19, 2012

The First Day...I Do Remember

I know I have referred to the first day my doctor told me I had diabetes.  Fear.  Fear.  Fear.  I was afraid of everything from what could happen to me with diabetes (I have a vivid imagination) to the fear of changing my diet (and to what?) to the fear of medication (what if it took my sugar down too low...vivid imagination kicks in, once again).

At this point some folks just freeze and don't do anything hoping it will all go away.  News Flash - it's not going to go away.  Changes have to take place.

So, my biggest fear was the damage diabetes can do.  I won't go into it.  Chances are you already know, but in the event you don't, read about it here.

First things first.  Get the medication.  For me it was 1,000 mg of metformin twice a day.  I was also changing the way I ate - I have referred to that in a previous blog.  If you want more details, all you have to do is ask.  And, I started testing as soon as I could as much as I could.  It happened that I could test up to like 3 times a day.  In the beginning I tested four times a day.  I wanted to know exactly what was happening.  How fast was my glucose going down? Was it getting dangerously low?  Because I was testing so often, I knew exactly what was going on.  I began to gain some confidence in the process of diet, medication and exercise.  And, being a bit anal, I kept some records.

In case you don't know, your glucose meter keeps records, too.  It probably can go back at least 90 days to give you averages, and might be able to go back seven days for specific readings including date and time of day.

Remember, it's just your first day...things are going ot be changing - a lot will be changing!  Make the dietary changes, take your medication religiously (NEVER, EVER MISS A DOSE), make a few life style changes, and test, test, test the first few weeks if you have enough test strips to do so.  If you don't, ask your insurance company and doctor if you can get more.  You aren't going to need extras forever, just a few months as you learn you can control diabetes.

Because of all of my testing and record keeping I know within 10 to 20 points, or so, where my glucose is at any given time.  The last time I went in to see my doctor we got into a discussion about my current reading.  It was about 4:00 in the afternoon and I told him it would be about 80.  He said that wasn't possible.  It should be around 90 or 100.  I just said, "Test me."  He did and what was the reading?  78.  He lowered my medication, which caused me to change my diet a bit (he wanted me to lose about 7 pounds, anyway - but that's another story) and increase my exercise a bit to compensate for the lower medication.

You see, I like lower numbers.  It means that I probably won't have the side effects of diabetes. But, remember I have been testing and working through managing and controlling diabetes for about three years - knowing about where you are won't come over night.

So, you see, there is good news.  If you are a bit diligent you can control this disease.  I am here to assist you in anyway I can.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. When we get normal fever then we used to fear for few days till it recovers. What about Diabetes? You have mentioned it well as it was your practical experience. Anyhow, nothing to worry on diabetes since it can be healed if one take medicine, diet food and regular exercise.

    All the best.

    http://www.diabeteshelpchannel.com/resources/

    ReplyDelete